Pero-Casevecchie is located at 490 metres above sea level and is part of the ancient parish of Tavagna, whose it was the most important town. The village is made up of two hamlets: Pero and Casevecchie. Several hiking trails cross this village, which is located in the heart of a beautiful chestnut grove with a breathtaking view of the coast. This village, which is close to the regional natural park of Corsica, is crossed by several rivers: the stream of Acquali, the stream of Monaco and the stream of Onda al Diavole.
In summer, every Monday, I Luni di l'Identità takes place: it is a market of local craftsmen and producers, followed by a concert of polyphonic singings in the parish church.
Angelo Francesco Mariani (1838-1914), the famous inventor of Vin Mariani, was born in Pero-Casevecchie. This wine was a coca-wine and it was promoted as a performance enhancer for creatives and athletes alike, and was endorsed by many notable people of its time – this wine was even prescribed to combat flu, nervous diseases, anaemia and impotence. It was the favourite drink of pope Leo XIII and later of pope Saint Pius X were both Vin Mariani drinkers.
Of course, the consumption of this drink was forbidden when the danger represented by coca leaves was discovered. The product was relaunched in 2014 by Christophe Mariani.
Art lovers can visit the parish church of the Annunciation (17th century), whose façade has four concave niches and is surmounted by two bell towers. In this church there is also a statue of Saint Anthony with Baby Jesus which comes from the convent of St Francis of Tavagna and which depicts the saint in an unusual posture. You should also visit the chapel of St Nicholas (18th century), which is still in good condition.
Not far from Pero-Casevecchie there is the abandoned village of Fiuminale.
This village is located at 45 km from Aléria, at 46 km from Bastia and at 70 km from Corte. Pero-Casevecchie is crossed by the D130 road.