20236 Omessa GPS : 42.371617, 9.197921
The town of Omessa with its 587 inhabitants as of 2017, is a mid-mountain town located north of the Center of Corsica, 12 km north of Corte. Covering an area of 24.4 km2, it belongs to the Talcini pieve.
The village of Omessa is 500 meters above sea level, at the entrance to the valley of the Elleratu stream. The village is characterized by narrow, paved alleys with arched passages. The roofs of the dwellings are made of red tiles.
This fortified village, built in the 11th century, was the birthplace of illustrious corporals and bishops who made Omessa second only to Rome, it was also the place of combat of the armies of Sampiero Corso against the Genoese. The historic heart is located in the upper part of the village, where the 15th century parish church of Saint Andrew of Omessa is located.
The small Chapel of the Annunciation, dating back to 1596, is at the end of the village square. This square is decorated with a majestic fountain, built at the beginning of the 19th century, thanks to the Count of Lantivy.
Two other chapels, one dedicated to the Holy Cross and the other dedicated to the worship of Saint Rita, are located at the two ends of the village.