Eglise Romane de la Trinité à Aregno

Access map

Église Romane de la Trinité
20220 Aregno
GPS : 42.582299,8.897455

The Church of the Holy Trinity and St. John the Baptist, formerly the rural parish of Aregno, is located in the heart of the current municipal cemetery near the village. It probably dates back to the first half of the twelfth century.
Decorated with monumental paintings during the 15th century, it was described in 1589 by the apostolic visitor Monsignor Mascardi, who also indicates the presence of a bell tower adjoining the church with a single bell, which would be destroyed during the 19th century.
Transversally elongated, the church consists of a single nave covered with an apparent wooden frame, extended by a semicircular apse with a quarter-sphere vault.

Its roof is made in Roman tiles. It is made with medium-size tiles in ocher, white, and black, which are randomly arranged.

Its facades are decorated with projecting semicircular arcades, resting on carved modillions with geometric, phytomorphic, and zoomorphic figures in flat relief or bas-relief.