20260 Calvi GPS : 42.568302,8.761028
The Calvi Citadel contains the St. John the Baptist Church within its walls. The church was originally built in the thirteenth century, and in 1576 Pope Gregory XIII consecrated it as a pro-cathedral for the priests of Sagone. The church is the starting point for the Holy Week procession. A statue of Our Lady of the Rosary, richly dressed in a brocade dress, is brought out on Easter Sunday. This church is a fine example of the "Corsican Baroque" style. The church is highly decorated with a polychrome marble altar and several notable statues, including the Black Christ of Miracles and the Virgin Mary carved from wood.